Saturday, April 16, 2016

Book Boredom

Hello, Sunshine

Did you ever start reading a book and halfway through decide you don't like it? But try to power through, thinking you'll change your mind?





I'm reading Pride and Prejudice, a classic. What's wrong with me that I don't love a classic?

A few years ago, I decided I'd read all the books from the high school reading list I didn't get to and/or Sparknoted instead of actually reading. It started off great with The Catcher in the Rye (which is highlight on my page), Slaughterhouse Five, and To Kill a Mockingbird, but then I got to these English "classics." First was Dicken's A Tale of Two Cities and, whew boy,  did I ever struggle with that one. I quit less than halfway through. Reading it, I felt like Joey when he tries to learn French.



Now, with Jane Austin, I'm ready to throw in the towel. But I don't want to be a quitter. I want to be a winner. A winner who can read English prose without wanting to cry. So onward I go to page 131. If you haven't heard from me in a few days, send help. I've probably been rereading the same paragraph over and over again and didn't realize it.

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." - Jane Austin


#Touteslasmore

Suz


No comments:

Post a Comment