Friday, May 13, 2016

What Even is Sadness?

Hello, Sunshine



Like the Carpenters said, rainy days and Mondays always get me down. And I’m blue today.  I’ve tried to put this off, but I think it’s come to the point in my little blog journey where I need to tell you about the worst day of my life.

The day I leaned what sadness is.

I mean, I thought I knew. I’ve read Me Before You. I’ve watched Titanic. Hell, I’ve held the hand of my grandfather while he took his last breath. I thought that was the saddest thing I’d ever go through.

I was wrong.

I’m a creature of habit. I was born and raised in the same town. I live three blocks from my parents, who still live in my childhood home. I only ever shop at Giant because I have the aisles memorized, and I always order the same thing at Cold Stone. My parents are still married, and I’m the younger of two children. I’m still best friends with the people I grew up with, and I met the man I married when I was eighteen, we have a cute little house and some furry babies. Better yet, I get paid to do what I love. To say I have a charmed life is pretty accurate.

The thing is, I was always haunted by this dream I had. When I was little, maybe five or six, I had this vivid…vision? Nightmare? Fever dream? I don’t know, but everything was white with a single rope, thick like on a boat with three knots tied in it. The first two were close together, leaving the space between the second and third about triple the length of the first. Then a voice said, “This is how long you’ll live, and this is how long your brother will live.”

Rightfully so, it scared the shit out of me, but I kept it a secret. I’d been having panic attacks since it’s happen, freaked out that I’d die by the time I was 27. (But if you have to go, you might as well join the club with Jimi, Janis, Kurt, and Jim, right?) The closer I got to the magic number, the more I opened up about it, telling my closest friends, basically giving away all my worldly possessions, mainly my *NSYNC CDs and favorite DVDs. I reached 27 without incident, then 28, 29, and finally 30 last November. At that point, it was a big joke to everyone. I made it to the big 3-0, life was gravy! I’d pretty much live forever, ah-ha, suck it dream!

Then, on December 15th of last year, my brother died suddenly.

It was a Tuesday, around 9:30 when my mom called me screaming. I can’t tell you how I functioned to speak to the police and the coroner. I don’t know how I held my mom as she cried, or got it together to call the people I was supposed to. But I do remember quite clearly how it hit me a few hours later. How I went outside and just…lost my mind.

It was supposed to be me. The dream told me so.

But it was my brother. He was the one who didn’t make it. My brother, my first friend, my protector, my favorite person, made it to 33 years-old. (Just like Jesus. That’s a pretty sweet club, too.)

A few days later, the coroner told me it was a massive heart attack, his heart was three times the size it should have been, something about arteries and blockages, and more and more science words until finally he said, “It would have happened immediately like an electric shock.”

My brother was a obese for a lot of his life, but he was finally getting healthy, losing weight, going to the gym, and visiting a nutritionist regularly. Funny, cause he died outside the gym after a workout. He had texted his girlfriend to meet up with her later, got in his car, sat down, put the key in the ignition, closed his eyes, and took his last breath. He didn’t even close the goddam car door yet.

It happened in a second. He was alive, and then he wasn’t.
I had a brother, and then I didn’t.
I was a younger sister, and now I’m an only child.
And it happened in a second.


That was December 15th, 2015. That’s six months, 150 days, and some 3,600 odd hours since my old life came crumbling down. It was the day I learned what true sadness is. The day I become a different person.

My brother left two little kids, who are too young to fully grasp what happened but cry none-the-less because my brother was a great daddy. He left 120 middle school English students, all of whom wrote letters, came to the funeral, and threw a fit when the school finally brought in a replacement, who tried to take down his posters in the room. He left the high school football team he coached, who actually had a wining record this past season! He left his writings unfinished, his iPod only halfway charged, and his Star Wars:The Force Awakens tickets unused in his wallet (He'd been practically jizzing in his pants over that movie.) 

He left the world before he should have. And it fucking sucks.

So, there you have it, my saddest day. I'll continue to write about my big brother because he is a huge part of my life. He's the reason I started writing to begin with. He influenced the music I listened to, the movies I watched, and the books I read. My brother is as much a part of me as I am alive, so there is no way I won't be able to write or blog without mentioning him at least a few times. 

#AndrewJamesDoran

Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment